Saturday, March 8, 2008

Thing Ten -- Wacky Wikis

WIKIS
Okay, now this one I am at least semi-expert with -- I have been editing/updating/creating wiki pages for some time now. The University of Minnesota Libraries uses a wiki for their staff pages. I didn't know much html (okay, I know minimal html) and while you do need to know wiki-speak to get the most out of wikis, it is vastly more easier to use than coding html web-pages.

I really enjoy editing a wiki because I don't have to know lots of coding, if I see something rather neat on another U Libraries wiki page, I can login in edit mode, to see what they did so I can do something similar -- and perhaps the best part, if there is a section of a wiki that I have the updated information for it, I can just go ahead and do it right on the spot, don't have to run it through a webmaster. It does make for more collaboration among the staff, with more people responsible for keeping the wiki page information fresh and up to date.

If you want to see what I have done, wiki-wise, here is a link to one of the wiki pages I edit: https://wiki.lib.umn.edu/Staff/ResearchPublicationsCommittee

No comments: