Wednesday, July 2, 2014

23 Mobile Things #3: Utilities

I was really interested in two of the listed utilities -- RedLaser Barcode & QR Scanner and finding a browser that would allow me to use/view Flash on my iPad -- I love doing crossword puzzles, and found it frustrating to have my iPad along on a conference, only not to be able to play my favorite crosswords (arrrgghh!).    And of course, Flash is used in more useful things, such as tutorials.

It is also always nice to have an alternate browser available, just in case something doesn't display right or, as in the case of Flash, not available on a particular browser, or if I want to sign in using a different username and password for the same app.  That is the reason why I decided to go with the free version of Puffin.  It downloaded fairly easily, and a test of one of my favorite crosswords showed that it was working in Puffin --   It will be fun exploring how this browser handles bookmarks and page history.

With the growth of QR codes, the ability to scan a QR code is increasingly useful.  While I will probably not use RedLaser to scan with regards to shopping, it will certainly come in useful at such places as conferences, where QR codes are used to link up with additional information.  And now that I have the ability to scan QR codes, I will keep an eye out for other applications.

No comments: